Thursday, December 2, 2010

CrossRoads

There comes a point in life where a young adult comes to decide which career pathway he or she will undertake according to their interests, talents or some say just pure family pressure. This point a time usually comes after SPM where scholarships are being offered. For others, the UNDECIDED ones, they usually take some thought after completing Pre-U, be it SAM/A-levels/AUSMAT or even the DREADED STPM. For me, I could only see myself doing something related to science as I was terrible at arts subjects be it accounting,economics or literature.Hence I decided to enroll in SAM at Taylors. I found it to be a relatively easy-fun going course as it involved a 50-50 dividence between assignments and exams. I enrolled in the january intake in order to save time as my parents put it. However, after a quarter of the course had passed, i fell very ill and was not able to attend classes for roughly 3 weeks, this period of absence affected my grades and after being through hell with my parents, they finally allowed me to withdraw from SAM and start anew at HELP Uni College in a much more tougher course, the LONDON A-LEVELS. Nontheless, eventhough i was moving on from SAM, i will never forget the class of G11, all the experiences we been through eventhough we spent a short period of time together.

                                              Good old times during Form 5

Moving on to A-levels was quite difficult for me as I was still recovering from my illness which affected me both physically and mentally as well, but, with the help of my friend Justin Jee, together, we set out making new friends in the A50 batch at HELP. First off, let me give a brief details of the subjects pathway i had gotten my self into. Ever since that illness hit me, i got a strong resolve and determination in me to study medicine and be a god willing good enough doctor to try and treat patients with diseases and hardship. Hence, i enlisted for the BIOLOGY,CHEMISTRY and MATHEMATICS combination. During my time in this course, i met a whole lot of new and interesting individuals who were all special in their own ways. There were the smart ones, the nerdy ones,the party ones and even the quiet ones, and together they made the A50 batch a memorable one with various experiences together be it in EXAMS or the simple daily cho tai t(big two) sessions. Unfortunately, I did not do too well in my finals of the A-levels examinations at the first go and these set of grades forced me to rethink of my future plans and career pathways.

                               Post SAM and Pre A-levels: Road to Recovery

Firstly, there was the dreaded meeting and discussions with my two lovely parents, eventhough they showed support for me to do medicine, they urged/encouraged me to re-think of other options such as accountancy and law. I even resorted to visiting an experienced career adviser. After various tests conducted by that adviser, it all showed that I should not do medicine and try to find other solutions. This in turn led me to visit the accountancy and law departments at HELP under the supervision of my caring father. After these visits, my dad gave me 3 days to think of my options which were:
a) accountancy
b)law
c) retake papers in JANUARY 09 and pursue the dream of medicine(INDIAN DREAM)


                                            Post A-Levels at Justin's Birthday

After 2 sleepless nights,thinking about my future, visiting various websites, I decided to follow the burning desire within me that was to keep the dream alive and work hard to score in the retake examinations. My father also played a big role in this as he was willing to sacrifice a big sum of money for tuition and this added further fuel to my desire to work hard. During this period of time, together with the encouragement, I applied to IMU with the help of my college DEAN of A levels MR JAHN CHEAH and chemistry master YAP. I was not sure of getting the place, so I went abouts enquiring bout INDONESIA as it was a good place financially and prestige wise as well.

As fate was to have it, I went for the IMU interview and was offered a place on a conditional offer, this brought joy not only to me, but also to my parents and teachers. I was not sure of the pathway ahead of me, but I was sure that with proper guidance,hardwork and faith in GOD, i would try my best to make my parents proud. As for this post, it comes to an end here, however, stay tune for my IMU LIFE post next up.

First, a sneak preview of the next post:

                          SEXIEST 11 Orientation Group: Journey Begins at IMU!

1 comment:

  1. It's great to read about your past bro. I see that you do one thing that is very important, that is you NEVER forget your roots and where you come from. That's of huge importance especially since there can be no finish line without a starting line.

    Cheers! :)

    ReplyDelete