Tuesday, December 7, 2010

IMU 1st year: PART 1

Hey guys, sorry for the absence yeah, was taking a breather at my wonderful house,enjoying some joyous home cooked food. Nothing like home eh? Okay then, moving on the this next post which will tell you guys bits and pieces of my first year at IMU. And so, the journey begins.

As a freshman at any university, we were supposed to undergo 2 weeks of orientation, and being such a noob at that time,I just took everything that came to me with such enthusiasm. Some times too much i would say,but hey,not always do we get to re-live these types of moments right? So there we were, attending briefings,the oath taking ceremony, taking our 1st batch photo, and meeting new people, not to mention getting our forms sorted out for Life at IMU. After the first 2 days of settling in, we were divided into 14 orientation groups. I so happened to be placed in group 11. To be honest, when I first walked into that very room assigned for group 11, I thought to myself, "what have you gotten yourself into la, tej?". However I was to be greatly mistaken. Firstly we introduced ourselves, had a mini ice-breaking session, and then came the serious part:
1) naming the group
2) electing a leader
3) electing an IMSS
4) electing the treasurer



                                  FIRST GROUP MEETING OF IMU BOOT CAMP

As non of us were daring enough to take the leader role, upstood ELDWIN OUI, the boy from seremban XD. And from then on,things became much more smooth, of course with the help of our delightful OO's yi wen,aku,joash and the rest of the crew. Next came the naming session, after much debate and suggestions of crazy names, we came out with a cool and catchy name and hence SEXIEST! was born!Joyce chieng got elected as treasurer whilst DIANA CHELSEA was IMSS. However, just as I was getting to know my group mates better, I was suddenly called out by this INDIAN(MACHA) SENIOR, he was so fierce at the time. I thought to myself, "TEJ, YOU ARE OVER LA". And my thoughts did me no wrong, as soon as i stepped out of the room, I was pushed against the wall, and asked many questions in a awesomely harsh manner which I thought was COOL. Some of the questions that I was being asked was "WHY ARE YOU SMILING?" or "WHY IS YOUR SHOELACES UNTIED?"

Throughout the next 2 weeks, we(INDIAN JUNIORS) were being put to the test by these fierce looking MACHA GANG, although they were very scary at first, I took all the bullcrap that they threw at me by forever smiling. Till they got so fed up, that they actually told me, "DEI, YOU ARE A CLOWN LA, but WE LIKE YOU, thats the RIGHT ATTITUDE". This made me feel glad deep down. We were forced to remember their names, some of them the names were too long, I swear I dont know how people could come up with such strong long winded INDIAN names.AMAZING. I remember at one point, I was made to sit under the table and make animal noises..HILARIOUS!We were also made to do random stuffs such as push-ups,sit ups,proposing to girls,shaving our beards etc. But the most important point I would like to make here is, although the MACHA gang treated us like garbage sometimes, It was their way of lightening or spicing up the orientation, It was their way of getting close to us. People come up to me and say, its a shame that macha gang is being banned in IMU and they want the MACHAS to continue going, when these very same people complained about us. I find this amazing.
It is even more amazing to see how these so called "SCARY" or "GANGSTER" looking bunch of people actually turn out to be one of the most friendly and helpful people I have met in IMU. They would call us out for futsal, makan sessions, DRINKING sessions and would offer advice in exams. Some of the people I would never forget are tharveen nair,lakshen palaniappan,ashwath,sanjay dev,vivek mahalingam and the rest of the crew. Thanks guys.

Moving back to the orientation after a sidetrack, right, after watching me being ravaged by the MACHAS, my group members felt bad for me. But I always said its fun and gave them that re-assuring smile. As a group, SEXIEST bonded amazingly fast, we had gifted people with various personalities and somehow, we gelled together. I was watching the DRESS CODE 1 video the other day which was MADAGASCAR, It was still hilarious, and I remember how much we slogged with each other preparing it, all the jokes, all the sweat put into it was worth it as the crowd was ENTERTAINED by US. Next came DRESS CODE 2, another awesome assignment on our hands which helped bond us even more together. We were given the assignment of BECKHAM and VICTORIA stucked in AFRICA.HAHA! I still remember RAKIB UDDIN and JOYCE CHIENG as the BECKHAM COUPLE!!! This turned out to be another superb performance by us. Finally, variety night came about, and after doing our performances along the lines of jokes and drama, we decided to give the crowd something different.A very own SEXIEST PRODUCTION! Our OOs came out with a SONG from them to us juniors and we decided to turn it into our next play. Joash played the piano. This song was so sentimental that it touched the crowd. Oh yea, before i forget, OUR AMAZING DIANA,  our IMSS!! This girl put on a SUPERB show based on our group solo performance theme TERMINATOR. AWESOME!


                                               Me and Wei Hoong: MALMON THE GIRAFFE!



                            MADAGASCAR CREW FOR DRESS CODE 1!                 

Alright then, aside from all the hardwork of putting together plays,acts and performances,we juniors were also given some fun and dirty activities to do. These included indoor and outdoor treasure hunts, telematch and ice breakers. I realise that elaborating on each will make this post superbly long. So I would just come straight to the point of these activities, I think these activities were planned to test the juniors on various things such as teamwork,perserverance, trust, and most importantly bridging the gap between members of a group, friendships that would last not only till the end of orientation but also throughout the IMU journey.


                                   AFTER INDOOR TREASURE HUNT


                                 AT AJIMAL MAMAK

Finally, came the  end of orienation, THE FINALE night, now, the theme of that NIGHT was the 70's NIGHT, so I got into the groove of it and decided to come as THE PIMP, after dining and meeting with friends and taking various photographs and watching videos, it came the time for awards ceremony, first up was the best dressed COUPLE of the night. EACH group were to have sent 2 people, male and female to do a CAT WALK, I partnered JOYCE. Next thing I knew was that I had been selected as BEST DRESS. HOORAY. But could not have done it without my teammates. AND FINALLY, the moment we been waiting for, the best ORIENTATION group of IMU BOOT CAMP, WAS..non other..THAN SEXIEST! I felt it was well deserved on our part but we also had to aknowledge the effort other groups put in as well. Three cheers to that.


                                            FINALE NIGHT WITH HAMPER

                                            TEJVINDER THE PIMP
                                                     


This sums up the first part of my post. But before that, would like to aknowledge the crew of SEXIEST:
Eldwin,wei hoong, joyce,rakib,evonne,mae yee,sofiah,lip hong,tejvinder,teegeena,jolene,jeffrey,derrick,lee wun,zeng and the rest.
not forgetting the OOs: aku, yi wen,joash,meshell,li teng,pam,yih ren,joanne,sook chieng and the rest.

Oh before I end, I would like to pay a tribute to the groups SPIES JENAN NGO and LOW JER MING. Let me give u a jist of the SPY term and role. Every orientation seniors take time off from their hectic schedule and play the role of a junior in order to smoothen the ice breaking session.However, we juniors were not told of the existence of these cunning individuals. Throughout the next 2 weeks, these guys participated in most of the activities while amazingly conning us with their well worked stories and acts. Although we could roughly guess that JER MING was a senior, this JENAN guy, totally caught us by surprise, he played this good boy role, always quiet, did not say a thing, i felt bad for him once too..THEN when he told us he was a SPY, all of us were so SHOCKED! 3 cheers to that JENAN!

I would like to end this post with a phrase.. " It does not matter how many people we have met, what matters is the friendship and bond formed and how we much we remember of these people"

TILL THE NEXT POST,CHEERS!

No comments:

Post a Comment